As a global leader in aerospace and defense technologies, Orbital ATK designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world both as a prime contractor and as a merchant supplier. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; satellites and associated components and services; composite aerospace structures; tactical missiles, subsystems and defense electronics; and precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition. Headquartered in Dulles, Virginia, Orbital ATK employs more than 12,500 people in 20 states across the U.S. and several international locations.
Our company is comprised of three operating groups:
Flight Systems Group
- Leading provider of small- and medium-class space launch vehicles for civil, military and commercial missions.
- Premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products.
- Major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense applications.
- World class manufacturer of composite structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Defense Systems Group
- An industry leader in propulsion and controls for air-, sea- and land-based tactical missiles and missile defense interceptors, fusing and warheads for tactical missiles and munitions.
- Supplier of advanced defense electronics for next-generation strike weapon systems, missile-warning and aircraft survivability, and special-mission aircraft.
- Leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition, medium-caliber gun systems and precision munitions guidance kits.
- Largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition.
Space Systems Group
- An industry-leading provider of commercial satellites used for global communications and high-resolution Earth imaging.
- A leading provider of small and medium spacecraft that perform scientific research and national security missions for government customers.
- Provider of commercial cargo delivery services to the International Space Station and developer of advanced commercial space-launch systems.
- Premier provider of spacecraft components and subsystems and specialized engineering services.
Some general company facts and figures:
- Annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion (CY 2013 pro forma) with total contract backlog of about $12 billion.
- Experienced workforce of 12,500 employees dedicated to aerospace and defense including 4,300 engineers and scientists; 7,200 manufacturing and operations specialists; and 1,100 management and administration personnel.
- Modern industrial facilities - over 19 million square feet of state-of-the-art R&D, manufacturing, test and operations, and office space.
- Solid financial outlook and strong balance sheet - revenue and profit growth, strong cash flow and low debt levels.
- Leading producer of solid rocket propulsion systems... over 16,000 motors built for strategic, tactical and space applications.
- Largest manufacturer of small- and medium-caliber ammunition... more than 8 billion rounds produced in last five years.
- Primary supplier of long-range missile defense interceptors and target systems… more than 300 vehicles built or under contract.
- Major builder of satellites and related subsystems... over 225 space systems and more than 800 space components delivered or in production.
- Principal supplier of medium-caliber gun systems for U.S. and NAT... 15,000-unit installed base.
- Leading operator of small research rockets and high-altitude scientific balloons... about 30 missions conducted per year.
- Expertise in facility management and co-production... operator of the largest U.S. ammunitions manufacturing facility.